A citizen of a foreign country is required to have a student visa to study in the United States. There are two types of student visas: F visas and M visas. The area of study and school you plan to attend will determine which visa you need. When you find an experienced immigration lawyer, you’ll have help determining the type of visa that’s best for your situation. An immigration lawyer consultation is the first step in navigating the entire process of securing a student visa.


Temporary Student

The wide variety of educational facilities in the United States offer great opportunities for students wishing to further their education and training. The intellectual stimulation and social experiences of studying in the U.S. will be vital parts of a student’s growth and development.

The F-1  student visa classification is allocated to academic students entering the United States temporarily for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study at an accredited school or university that is approved by the Attorney General.

Foreign national students who want to study in the U.S. usually apply for the F1 student visa. Although the J1 and M1 Visas (for vocational students) are sometimes used, most foreign students enter in F1 status.

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join you in the U.S., under F2 status. A prospective student’s Form I-20A-B may be used to request an F2 visa.

If your spouse and/or dependent children are joining you later, they will need to submit Form I-20A-B, endorsed from the school you are attending. F2 visa holders cannot work while in the US nor attend school without changing their status to F1. An F2 child may attend school-elementary through 12th grade.

F1 Student Visa Process Steps

You must be enrolled as a full time student for an academic educational program with the USCIS approved school. You should have the USCIS form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of eligibility) issued by the educational institute.

Procedure to Apply F1 Student Visa

You must submit your visa application form, Form I-20A-B and other required documents at the U.S. Consulate, Consular Office or U.S. Embassy with jurisdiction over your permanent residence.


  • Ability to demonstrate status as a bona fide student with non-immigrant intent and strong ties to the home country
  • Ability and credentials to qualify for the intended full course of study in a SEVP certified institution
  • Acceptance to study at an established college, university, or other academic institution or in a language training program in the United States approved by the Attorney General
  • Proficiency in the English language and evidence of sufficient funds to attend the university or college to which s/he has been admitted to study and live in the United States for the duration of the program
  • A filled-in appropriate DS visa application Form. Separate applications for each person are compulsory.
  • One recent photograph as per the specification of each applicant, with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering.
  • A passport, valid for travel to the United States for at least six months longer than your intended visit.
  • A letter of admission from the school you plan to attend.
  • A signed Form I-20A-B.
  • Applicants applying with I-20 forms processed after 1 Sept 2004 are required to provide the SEVIS I-901 fee receipt as proof of payment.
  • Proof of sufficient funds to partake in study in the U.S.
  • Intention to depart the U.S.

How We Can Help You to Get F1 Visa

  • JD Law & Associates provide assistance in devising a strategy and course of action to increase ones chance of obtaining the F-1/F-2 visa at the consulate abroad.
  • We advice on F-1 status maintenance, employment applications such as CPT, OPT, STEM extensions, automatic F-1 status and employment extension based on the cap gap rule, and other matters related to the F-1.
  • We advise with respect to changing between F-1 primary and F-2 dependent statuses.
We can schedule a consultation within 24 hours, usually on the same business day.  1-855-772-2529
Awesome Image

Speak With Our
Experts Today!

Schedule Consultation
Awesome Image
Translate »